The plan for the addMap changes is to get rid of the loop where the
user space code asks the driver where the resources are and then sets
those values back into the driver. Since the driver already knows
these values it should just create the maps itself. This removes the
possibility of the user space code changing those values before
passing them back.

This is the code radeon driver uses to create the permanent resource
mappings.  Adding the corresponding code the the savage driver will
fix the problem. initmap won't stop you from making more than one
mapping.

I can look into fixing addmap, but if you switch to having the driver
initmap for REGISTERS/ FRAME_BUFFER you won't need to addmap them from
user space and it won't matter if the call fails.

+
+       /* registers */
+       /* PCI space is twice the real size, so that you can have a RW and
RO mapping */
+       if( (retcode = DRM(initmap)( dev, pci_resource_start( dev->pdev, 2 ),
+                       pci_resource_len( dev->pdev, 2 ) / 2, _DRM_REGISTERS, 0 )))
+               return retcode;
+
+       /* framebuffer */
+       if( (retcode = DRM(initmap)( dev, pci_resource_start( dev->pdev, 0 ),
+                       pci_resource_len( dev->pdev, 0 ), _DRM_FRAME_BUFFER,
_DRM_WRITE_COMBINING )))
+               return retcode;

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 23:23:27 +0100 (IST), Dave Airlie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Anyway, I suspect the behaviour of DRM(addmap) changed recently. The
> > only addmap-related comment I could find on dri-patches is this:
> >
> >   addmap-base-2 patch from Jon Smirl:
> >
> >   sets up the DRM to have the ability to have permanent maps while the driver is
> > loaded...
> >
> > Is it really necessary to limit drivers to a single framebuffer-type
> > mapping?
>
> Just in case anyone is wondering this is why I can be a bit slow pushing
> to Linus, finding these issues takes time... this patch looked okay to me
> but I never knew what the savage was up to ...
>
> I don't think there is any reason to limit it to only one mapping,
>
> Hopefully Jon can think of a way around it, you should be able to back out
> that change on your system for now until Jon gets online..
>
> Dave.
>
> --
> David Airlie, Software Engineer
> http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / airlied at skynet.ie
> pam_smb / Linux DECstation / Linux VAX / ILUG person

> --

Jon Smirl