Pawel Salek wrote:
Hello,

I thought I would share my impression of running DOOM3 (250SEK on sale!) using DRI drivers (free!).

SUMMARY: - hardware TCL broken. - some lighting problems with software TCL. - few lockups (save frequently!). - average 10 FPS on AMD XP1800+, Radeon 8500LE, 640x480.

FOLLOWUP: My goal was to run DOOM3 with a minimal number of changes since this is a "production" machine. I used kernel-2.6.10-1.741_FC3 and patched xorg-x11-6.8.1.902-1.

Trying to compile current Mesa against xorg-x11-6.8.1.902 is a major PIA[1]. I ended up using mesa-6.2.1 that comes with xorg and port the
R200 part of Roland Scheidegger's S3TC patch to this code. See http://www.theochem.kth.se/~pawsa/dri/ for few more details.
This is because these macro constants are defined in drm. So, you need
to have newest drm sources to get it to compile (and run - if you have
old drm hyperz will simply be disabled). xorg of course has not newest
drm code. What you've done is not generally recommended, Mesa cvs not
only has all the texture compression patches already applied, but lots
of other fixes.

I could confirm that hardware TCL is broken (at least in the version I used) - does anybody know how to fix it? http://www.theochem.kth.se/~pawsa/dri/tcl-enabled.png http://www.theochem.kth.se/~pawsa/dri/tcl-disabled.png
Some tcl lighting bugs are fixed in Mesa CVS (not all - I've posted a
one-line workaround which mostly fixes tcl for doom3, but causes other problems, it's a ugly hack).

Software TCL appears to have some problems, too: http://www.theochem.kth.se/~pawsa/dri/lighting-problem1.png http://www.theochem.kth.se/~pawsa/dri/lighting-problem2.png - can anybody else confirm that?
This is not a driver bug. Doom3 with r_renderer arb simply does look
that awful. At least I've tried it with some other OS, and it looked
exactly the same. AFAIK noone has the required documentation to
implement the ati fragment shader extensions, which are required to
enable other r_renderer modes.

I could repeatedly get a hardware lockup when standing in certain place and looking at certain point: http://www.theochem.kth.se/~pawsa/dri/sure-hang.png The lockup happened twice also when looking at the moving bridge few corridors later.
There might be no lockups with Mesa CVS, there were some fixes for
lockup problems, though I thought those were in xorg too. At least I don't get lockups with doom3, though I have a 9000pro, which tend to lockup less than the 8500 :-).

I think the DRI building instruction phase is all nice and great but the whole process is complex and limits the number of people testing the code to hardcore hackers (or perhaps the goal is to reduce number
of reporters that have no idea what they are writing about? In a way,
I can understand that...:).
In general, the driver snapshots really are what's intended for non-hackers.

Roland

------------------------------------------------------- The SF.Net email is sponsored by: Beat the post-holiday blues Get a FREE limited edition SourceForge.net t-shirt from ThinkGeek. It's fun and FREE -- well, almost....http://www.thinkgeek.com/sfshirt -- _______________________________________________ Dri-devel mailing list Dri-devel@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dri-devel