On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Michel [ISO-8859-1] Dänzer wrote:

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 02:36 -0500, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:

AFAIK, the lockups are due to interference between 2d packets from Xserver and 3d packets from the driver. Somehow mouse movement provokes it, possibly when the cursor shape changes on crossing window boundaries..

It is not the mouse movement per se that induces the lockup, but the
movement of the 2d cursor on a screen.

Have you tried idling the engine before uploading the cursor data?

I haven't played with that part of 2d driver, but shouldn't it do this already as all ATI cards are touchy about framebuffer access while the graphics engine is busy ?

So far all we needed to get things working is the "ugly hack" in 2d driver that we discussed earlier plus the pacifier sequence which appears to be cache flush:

   reg_start(R300_RB3D_DSTCACHE_CTLSTAT,0);
        e32(0x0000000a);

   reg_start(0x4f18,0);
        e32(0x00000003);

best

Vladimir Dergachev

--
Earthling Michel DÃnzer      |     Debian (powerpc), X and DRI developer