Why do you the value is 7 ? According to my docs the number of pipes is a magic value that should be architecture dependent. Of course, my documentation is for R300 2d only..

I would expect that there is no easy formula.

The 7 came from fglrx using radeon_dump.

Ahh ! In this case it should be safe to use. What was the entire value written in the register ?

By the way R420 is very sensitive to register reads of some registers.

For many registers the chip must be idle before the read.

If the value should be architecture dependent it should be safe to use the value 7 on all R420 no matter the number of pipes.

Well, I would assume that the number of pipes is the same on all R420. Otherwise we might have problems.

                     best

                         Vladimir Dergachev

Rune Petersen