On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 05:29:35 +0100 (IST)
Dave Airlie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I'm trying to diagnose and hopefully fix a recurring hang with my 9200SE
> > (details below) and all recent DRM/DRI drivers on my desktop Linux system.
> >
> > I have a Duron 700 on Gigabyte 7ZM (via based) motherboard, configured for
> > AGP 1x and with e.g. current Fedora Core 3 kernel (2.6.11) and X.org (6.8.2)
> > or with recent DRI snapshots the graphics will eventually (minutes, hours
> > rarely longer) hang.
>
> I've been seeing these but I've no idea when it started, I get hangs on
> 8500LE and 9200 with CVS everything, I think turning Render accel off
> makes it happen less often but doesn't remove it completely... I just
> don't have the bandwidth to debug these at the moment (debugging these can
> take days of staring at debug dumps...),

I had lockups a few months ago with my FireGL8800 with X/DRI, I gave up trying
to find a stable X/DRI combination after trying 3 X versions and about 20 DRI
snapshots. I'm *not* saying DRI isn't good, it used to work perfectly on my
7500.
But the R200 was never stable here (I've had it for ~6 months now).
I'm using ATI-drivers atm and I've not seen a single crash with those. If debug
logs are
interesting to you, or to any X/DRI developpers, I'll go back to DRI and try to
generate them if you tell me how. I'm happy to say my PC doesn't seem to have
any hardware problem (as it was suggested on dri-devel) since going to
ati-drivers
solved *all* the stability  issues I had with X+DRI (and before switching from
the 7500 to the 8800, it was stable ; and it was still stable in 3D apps in
windows
(yuck) after the switch).
Maybe if all users seeing crashes generated a debug log and put it online for
all DRI
developpers to see, finding a common denominator would be easier...