On Thursday 16 June 2005 20:06, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On 6/16/05, Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > In fact, the framebuffer support/mode setting doesn't have to be in the
> > kernel stricto-sensus.
>
> In the model I'm working with, things like mode setting always have to
> go through a kernel call gate to provide the user to root privilege
> escalation. Once you are in the driver, the driver is free to set the
> mode in the kernel or do something like call_userhelper() for a user
> space implementation. call_userhelper() runs the helper as root so it
> can get to the registers.

I would strongly suggest that we use usermode helpers as much as possible even
on linux, since we have the code already written in X and it'll increase the
similarity with other platforms.  Write it once.  Other platforms without an
fbdev layer will run the server as root and just fork the modesetter.

This would be nice to do even for the classic server if possible.

- ajax