On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 02:48 +0100, Dave Airlie wrote:

> > I don't see this process adding huge amounts of code to the drivers,
> > I'm halfway through and I don't think I've added hardly any code at
> > all. Mostly I just rearrange what is already there.
> >
> > Linux already has existing fbdev drivers for mode setting. I am
> > choosing to use those now since I wasted a year messing around trying
> > to add mode setting directly to DRM. I now realize that there are
> > vocal, powerful supporters behind using the fbdev code. I want to get
> > my server working so I am choosing the path of least resistance and
> > using fbdev.
>
> But there are also people who are against it and my thinking is that with
> benh now thinking we should avoid using fbdev, we should maybe start to
> think about it..
>
> My presentation at desktopcon is an effort to cover this, I'll give the
> same one to KS in a slightly modified form....
>
> We can't mode set in the kernel for every chip, we know this, intelfb
> doesn't modeset in the kernel if you aren't using a single CRT (i.e. BIOS
> isn't needed)... this can't be fixed in the current fb architecture so we
> need something new...
>
> After talking with Ben a few days back, I'm getting the idea we are going
> to need a user-space server process that does all of this, call it 0
> (zero) as X-X = 0, this 0 process is started by init and has card specific
> loadable modules, that just init the in-kernel driver with some info from
> a file in /etc and maybe some other stuff.. you have it reading a kernel
> netlink or something similiar for kernel mode change events from a kernel
> side driver, (so your mode change API can still happen),
>
> at startup it can just setup the memory manager, detect monitors (could
> also wakeup every so often if needed for monitor hotplug detection), it
> woudln't need to do an initial modeset I don't think, until someone else
> comes along and asks for it.. so a userspace console would just be an app
> like anything else.. things like Xegl and KAA/Shiny would use the same
> basic infrastructure and not care ...
>
> this process would run as root so you can then audit it, it would be much
> smaller than X, and it would run in userspace so we wouldn't have to audit
> it as much for doing evil things.. the less code in the kernel the less
> code I have to review ;-)

This is the best thing I've heard in this discussion so far!

I'm still concerned by the handwaving involved in how apps are going to
interact with mode setting (yes, I do want to be able to have my video
game switch to 1280x1024), but I have nothing concrete to offer either.

--
Eric Anholt                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/              [EMAIL PROTECTED]