On 6/27/05, Alan Hourihane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 09:58:22AM -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > Is it possible to add the suspend/resume support to Intelfb instead of
> > the DRM driver and then just load both drivers? Do we really want to
> > start building another suspend/resume infrastructure inside of DRM if
> > it is possible to address the problem through existing means? It seems
> > to me like this could get very complicated if both DRM and fbdev both
> > start to try controlling suspend/resume.
>
> The intelfb driver doesn't support the i9XX series of Intel chips, and
> also may not actually be loaded in two cases. One is if the user is
> already using vesafb, and second when the user isn't using fbdev at all.
>
> The case for coming up with a low level stub driver, seems to be a little
> stronger in this case rather than an fbdev/DRM glued approach.

I am almost certain that code for adding suspend/resume support to DRM
is going to get rejected when it is submitted to the Linux kernel on
grounds that it is duplicating existing code.  The code in DRM CVS for
detecting fbdev and attaching to the PCI ID if it is not there has
already been rejected.

You could be a pioneer and write the first stub driver. I've looked at
the problem and you need about 80% of the fbdev code in the stub. I
just didn't think it was worth the engineering effort to split 20
existing fbdev drivers. Since I didn't want to split the drivers I was
just using them as the stub.

A properly built fbdev driver should be able to passively load into
the system and only be activated on suspend/resume. It won't become
active until you load fbconsole.

vesafb users should shift to the board specific fb drivers if
available. If the board specific fb driver isn't working we should
simply fix it instead of building and entire architecture to avoid
it's use.

--
Jon Smirl