Am Sonntag, den 29.01.2006, 14:00 -0800 schrieb Donnie Berkholz:
> Felix Kühling wrote:
> > for the next version of DRIconf I'm working on a database of known
> > applications that can be selected from a menu. This way users won't need
> > to go through the confusion of finding out the correct executable name
> > any more. However, the range of applications and games I'm using myself
> > is rather limited, so I am conducting this survey.
> >
> > Please send me the names and correct executable names of your favourite
> > 3D applications and games that you configure with DRIconf. Send these to
> > my private email address, NOT to the mailing lists. Depending on the
> > volume of feedback I may want to filter and process the emails
> > automatically, so please send plain-text emails in the following format:
>
> Is it possible that this could be dynamically created and cached on each
> system by checking for applications in PATH that have libGL in NEEDED?
> Then one could have a "Scan for new applications" that would re-check.
>
> I suppose readelf -a $exe | grep NEEDED ought to work on most systems.
>
> That ought to catch the majority of them, except those annoying shell
> scripts that run something else somewhere else.

Yeah, but these are exactly the hard cases that are most confusing to
users and that I'm trying to solve. Also some executables don't have
very descriptive names, like "fgfs" for FlightGear. It's also impossible
to sort auto-detected applications into meaningful categories. Maybe
parsing of the menus of the desktop environment would be feasible
instead? http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fmenu_2dspec defines a
distro-neutral standard for such menus. On my Debian box the Gnome menus
aren't too helpful in terms of completeness and categorization of
applications. But the Debian menu would come pretty close. Do other
distributions have something equivalent?

Your readelf trick would work as a filter to identify the 3D
applications. Thanks for the hint. Shell scripts would need some
heuristics to find the actual executable. This could get messy. A
database may be the only way.

BTW, readelf is part of binutils. Can one reasonably assume binutils to
be installed on every desktop system? Also, what about *BSD? Do they use
ELF binaries?

> Thanks,
> Donnie

Regards,
  Felix

--
| Felix Kühling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                     http://fxk.de.vu |
| PGP Fingerprint: 6A3C 9566 5B30 DDED 73C3  B152 151C 5CC1 D888 E595 |