Pawel Salek wrote:
ColorTiling works like a charm: it gives factor two speedup in glxgears, one can play RTCW at 1280x1024 *and* the random lines are gone! Is there any reason this option is not the default?
I am not sure, maybe it could be made the default by now?
Historically, it is off by default because it didn't work on r3xx/r4xx cards (it was always on by default on older chips since it exists), because it wasn't fully implemented. I think it works without problems nowadays on all chips (dunno about the rs400 igps, though). I believe though it caused to lock up the r300/r350 chips even faster (with opengl apps) but that is probably more of a side effect. Someone more familiar with the r300 cards needs to answer that if it should be the default but it sure would be nice - the radeon chips are increasingly relying on this to get good performance (first generation (r1xx) radeon chips roughly gain 20% or so, 2nd generation (r2xx) more like 50%, and 3rd (r3xx/r4xx) 100%). If the random lines disappear with color tiling that sounds like a bandwidth allocation problem, which should be fixed regardless (though it is feasible that it's simply impossible in non-tiled mode?).

Roland