> On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 20:50 +0800, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 5:25 AM, Jin, Gordon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:

> > >  >
> > >  > I just committed the last big chunk of DRI2 work, the direct
> > rendering
> > >  > support.  With this, we can now do direct rendering to redirected
> > >  > windows and GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap even works, so compiz
> > (and
> > >  > other Open GL compositing managers) can run in direct rendering
> > mode
> > >  > too.
> > >  >
> > >  > I ended up rolling a couple of changes into the direct rendering
> > work
> > >  > and the commits in mesa and xserver grew much bigger than what I
> > would
> > >  > have liked.  Short story is that the DRI2 interface and the
> > legacy
> > >  > interface diverged and I had to break the DRI interface again.
> > So I
> > >  > decided to make a couple of changes I'd been considering, most
> > >  > noticably, the GLX specifc, open coded __GLcontextModes struct is
> > no
> > >  > longer part of the DRI driver interface, and with it glcore.h is
> > also
> > >  > gone.  This change is the cause of most of the code churn.  I
> > could
> > >  > have tried to split the commits up in a couple of independent
> > commits,
> > >  > but it would be a lot of work and I figured it'd be nice to only
> > have
> > >  > one commit that breaks the interface.
> > >  >
> > >  > The upshot is that git xserver AIGLX needs git mesa DRI driver
> > and for
> > >  > DRI2, get the latest version of the xf86-video-intel
> > intel-batchbuffer
> > >  > branch too.
> > >
> > >  Is there an option to disable DRI2 (or say, switch to legacy DRI)
> > for those who would stick to xf86-video-intel master branch (or 2.3)
> > at this point?
> >
> > Yes, if you're not running the batchbuffer branch of the intel driver,
> > none of this will kick in.  The DRI2 code paths are triggered by the
> > DDX driver initializing the DRI2 module in the X server, which then
> > will allow the AIGLX code or libGL to initialize in DRI2 mode.  If
> > you're running the master intel driver or the batchbuffer branch with
> > 'Option "DRI2" "off"', the DRI2 module won't get initialized and
> > everything should work as before.  If you see regressions in this
> > case, I'd like to hear about them.

I've been trying to use intel-batchbuffer on and off for the last few
weeks on a DELL Latitude D830:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)

I'm using git master versions of xorg-server, mesa, drm etc.  Everything
compiles fine and it correctly enables DRI2 etc, seems very fast, but
causes the GM965 to lockup when moving windows under a compositing
window manager (tested with kwm4 (EXA) and metacity, compiz just locks
up straight away), also while moving a window it also appears to flicker
(kwm also shows random black rectangles over various parts of the
desktop if there is more than 1 window) and jump around, often
compressing the vertical dimension of the window.  After locking up it
falls back to the console but is left in a state such that the driver
can not re-initialise the hardware, the text console is still working
ok.  A hard reboot is required before the xserver will fire up again.

Option "ExaNoComposite" "false" stops it crashing, but also obviously
isn't ideal!

I can do more testing and get logs etc, but I am a little wary, I had to
just send the machine to be repaired by DELL due to memory failure, and
I'm a little concerned it may have been aggravated by testing this
driver...

I've fallen back to using the git master intel driver for now which is
stable, but slow.