On Fri, 16 May 2008 09:28:31 +0200
Thomas Hellström <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have a couple of question w r t the TTM vs GEM discussion:
>
> 1) How does pwrite() avoid clflush()es or wbinvd()s in the i915 gem case?
>
> 2) Some people have stated that GPU page faults could not be implemented
> with TTM.
> We've certainly dealt with that type of hardware, but found no obvious
> reason to use that feature.
>
> Could someone tell me why this feature can't be used with TTM (or is it
> that it can't be used with the current TTM driver interface?)  and also
> a typical use-case where it might be beneficial within either the GEM or
> TTM context?
>
> /Thomas

For GPU page my concern with ttm was the obligation of having a user
mapping of the VRAM. In GEM i am not forced to map vram (i could do
that too in TTM but i have the feeling that this would need a quite
big amount of code). Note that GEM can do VRAM mapping if you want
as stated by Keith and Eric, sorry if i did give the impression that
GEM could not.

Here are assumption i do on hw virtual address space, i don't have
information on this for radeon hw so this might not be what the
current hw is capable of. That being said, i have the feeling that
we will eventualy get to this technology.

My current understanding is that on newer GPU each client got its
own memory address space on the GPU. I can manage this space
transparently based on hint from userspace, ie i can place page
either in ram or vram and i can do migration when necessary. As
a result i think i have no obligation that page in VRAM to be
adjacent each to the other. Of course mapping such thing in
userspace vma become cumberstone.

This view of vram management is what is motivating my reluctance
to map vram in userspace vma. I do agree that on current hw mapping
vram is the easiest path but once such things popup in hw, pread,
pwrite will be a better approach to update & read.

Cheers,
Jerome Glisse