On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 2:40 AM, Dave Airlie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Well, if the overhead of merging upstream is a concern, then how about
>> not worrying about bc at all and let people who want to back port deal
>> with it?  Oh, and what about just keeping the drm drivers in a linux
>> kernel tree?  That'll make upstream merging even easier yet...
>
> The less crap I have to remove from the diffs the better, I have a script
> and it removes stuff mostly fine, maybe someone should actually bring this
> idea up on the list with a proper plan for how to deal with
>
> a) BSD
> b) backwards compat for using updated DRM drivers on older kernels.
>
> If someone writes a coherent proposal I'm all ears, all I'm hearing is
> "other kernel subsystems", but on my review 2 other kernel subsystem have
> a major userspace part to worry about, alsa and v4l. They both developed
> in out-of-tree with backwards compat code.
>
> If enough DRI developers are willing to take the stand that they don't
> care about a or b, then I'm willing to change the development model. So
> far I've hear grumbles and mumbling, where I expect coherent proposal or
> gtfo.
>
> The biggest thing I have against this is that it cuts our testing base
> down, we have a small testing base already, cutting it further jsut to
> benefit some developers who are frustrated isn't really a gain.

I don't have a particular attachment to the standalone drm tree
concept.  It really does date from another era.

Back then we had different ideas about how people would get their
drivers and what OS's would be enthusiastic enough to want to join the
party.

It is nice to be able to build new drm against older kernels, however
-- I'd be a bit sad to lose that possibility.  If that can somehow be
preserved, at least for relatively recent kernels (perhaps a 1 year
window??), then there's nothing I've got against this.

Keith