On Friday, August 1, 2008 3:27:33 pm Dave Airlie wrote:
> > So, I very much agree with your proposal and don't feel I can add
> > much, except to point out that a migration to in-tree drm development
> > doesn't need to be a big and painful process.  Basically, we just
> > decide to do it, and designate a kernel tree on freedesktop.org that
> > we work from and start with the current state of upstream drm.  There
> > will be some work in moving things over from drm.git to the kernel
> > tree, but we were going to do that *anyway* as part of getting it
> > upstream.  What will be different is that Dave won't have to do all
> > that work, we can split it up between us and all Dave will need to do
> > is to merge the branch and push it to Linus.  This is of course what
> > Eric is already doing with GEM in people.fd.o/~anholt/linux-2.6, and
> > that would be a great way to get the vblank rework upstream too.
>
> If we do this, I'm going to introduce new rules for features/patches that
> will put a lot more work on people.
>
> 1. Nobody gets commit access to master branch except me.
>
> 2. All work is done in topic branches that are throwaway once
>    complete. So when the branch owner decides the work is upstreamable,
>    They create a set of clean patches against the current master,
>    send them to dri-devel for review, if they pass review then the
>    branch owner creates a new clean branch and asks me to merge it,
>    it also includes Signed-off-by lines.
>    Some people say we want the history, Linus wants bisectable history
>    so invariable when a feature reaches a useful stage it should go
>    upstream in clean s-o-b patches that are bisectable and pass
>    checkpatch.pl, not in a 50 separate patches with fixes in it.
>    We can generate a throwaway drm-next tree that merges all the topic
>    branches currently in play if people want to have some superview.
>
> 3. All API changes to go to the list as soon as possible (should be done
>    now).
>
> I'm sure I'll think of some more.

As we discussed on IRC last night, I think these changes are perfectly
reasonable (in fact just what I'd expect if we moved to this model).  Sure,
it will force contributors to be more disciplined, but that's probably a good
thing anyway.  I'd still like to hear from the BSD guys about how we can best
keep shareable code obvious and contribution conditions clear, but so far I
haven't heard any serious problems.

If you're still nervous about making the move (I would be), we could consider
doing a trial run of the new development model for 2.6.28, but we'd probably
want to start right away if 2.6.28 really is our target.

Jesse