> > Then this, the thing is to keep it building you need compat code, code
> > that can't go into Linus tree, so we end up with a tree that isn't like
> > Linus tree, and we still have to patch manage transitions so we don't save
> > anything doing this over what we have now.
>
> I was thinking that having the BC code in-tree might be acceptable.
> As far as I remember, the old firewire stack did that for a while, but
> maybe they've tightened up the policy on that.

Not allowed anymore, including version.h is a red flag nowadays..

> stricter process instead of the free-for-all drm.git repo we have now.
>  And topic branches sounds very promising; if GEM had been done in a
> topic branch off of the upstream linux tree, preparing the patch would
> literally be one git diff command, instead of having to sort out the
> GEM changes from drm.git.  Similarly, Ian's XGI work wouldn't have
> used the ttm fences and gotten upstream faster.

Well XGI isn't going upstream as last I heard from IBM it still didn't
work, and they scrapped the XGI plan and bought a bunch of X1650s once
Ben and myself fixed the endianness issues.

While I'd like to believe preparing the patch would be one git diff away,
I suspect it would have been 15 cherry-picks, a couple of merges, a few
interactive rebases and a batch of checkpatch.pls away. Nothing is ever a
git diff away from upstream.

So we would need to find a way to get all the compat hacks into two/three
files with no version checks in the actual code. Sounds "icky". Or someone
who cared enough would need to maintain a separate repo for old kernels.

Dave.