demetrioussha...@netscape.net wrote:
>  So that means that I can get hardware acceleration by writing the winsys for
> Syllable, regardless of the fact that we don't use DRI/DRM?? I guess the main
> question is, "Do I have to use the DRI/DRM drivers in order to use the
> current hardware pipes?"

And the main answer is, "no, DRI/DRM is not required." r300, i915, and
i965 use a batchbuffer technique, and the nvxx pipes map the ring buffer
into userspace, but none of them really know or care about how that's
set up by the winsys.

Your first target should probably be getting softpipe to run. Softpipe
is, as the name suggests, a pipe that does all of its rendering in
software, and it can run on top of any winsys.

Wikipedia tells me that you guys are POSIX and Unix-like, but not using
Xorg for your windowing system, so you will probably need a state
tracker for your windowing system too.

~ C.