[ mesa3d-dev is more appropriate I think ]

On Sun, 2009-04-05 at 16:38 -0700, Corbin Simpson wrote:
> demetrioussha...@netscape.net wrote:
> >  So that means that I can get hardware acceleration by writing the winsys
> > for Syllable, regardless of the fact that we don't use DRI/DRM?? I guess
> > the main question is, "Do I have to use the DRI/DRM drivers in order to use
> > the current hardware pipes?"
>
> And the main answer is, "no, DRI/DRM is not required." r300, i915, and
> i965 use a batchbuffer technique, and the nvxx pipes map the ring buffer
> into userspace, but none of them really know or care about how that's
> set up by the winsys.
>
> Your first target should probably be getting softpipe to run. Softpipe
> is, as the name suggests, a pipe that does all of its rendering in
> software, and it can run on top of any winsys.

That's not quite true. Every Gallium core driver (what you call 'a
pipe') defines an interface which the winsys module (which is kind of a
misnomer - it's not just about windowing systems but generally about
backend details - but we haven't come up with a better name yet) needs
to implement to be able to use it.

It's a design goal of Gallium to make the core driver completely
independent of API frontend or windowing system / OS environment backend
details, so in order to use Gallium on Syllable you should only need to
touch the winsys modules, and there should be no requirement to use
DRI/DRM. That said, Gallium does presume relatively advanced memory
management with persistent buffer objects.