On Sunday 29 November 2009 18:54:31 vehemens wrote:
> On Sunday 29 November 2009 14:23:44 Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> > On Sunday 29 November 2009 14:16:13 vehemens wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > Your missing the point of using a development structure which supports
> > > collobration.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > The difference is that you are the only one doing the work now.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > Again, your missing the point of using a development structure which
> > > supports collobration.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > It hasn't moved "... well beyond what was in drm git."   If you believe
> > > otherwise, your only fooling yourself.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > See above comments.
> >
> > Yes, you have made it abundantly clear that you are in favor of having a
> > centralized repository for all DRM development.  The fact is, that's not
> > happening now and is not going to happen.  That used to be the case, but
> > the linux DRM developers did not see an advantage to that for themselves,
> > and though rnoland was unhappy with the decision (because it made his job
> > harder), the linux DRM developers did what they felt was best.
>
> You assuming what what good for Linux for a developer, is also good for a
> BSD developer.  As for making rnoland's job harder, it was his choice.

Nice try, but I am making no such assumptions.  It was not rnoland's choice to
stop having the linux DRM developers stop using a centralized repository for
all DRM code.  He was quite clearly opposed to it and did not consider it a
good choice.

> > Since then, rnoland has made significant progress porting the linux
> > specific changes over to FreeBSD.   If you don't believe the changes he's
> > made in the FreeBSD source tree go 'well beyond' what had been in
> > mesa/drm on freedesktop git then you are fooling yourself.  Frankly, if I
> > were Robert, I would be offended by that statement you made.
>
> I've diffed the code.  Suggest that you do the same and see if you can
> still make the same statements.

r6xx/r7xx DRM code, alone, pushes FreeBSD DRM "well beyond" what was in
mesa/drm on freedesktop.

> > As has been said time and again, the kernel specific code in mesa/drm
> > serves no purpose other than providing a historical log of the DRM
> > development from that time, so there was no harm in pulling it.  The
> > FreeBSD DRM code follows the same development model as the rest of
> > FreeBSD, and I have a hard time believing that such a model doesn't
> > support collaboration.  That is certainly an accusation I've never once
> > heard made against the FreeBSD project in recent years till just now.
>
> If one stashes his/her development code where few if any can get at it, I
> don't consider that collaboration.

Many developers have private source repos for their code and only make such
code available when it's actually usable for testing or further development by
others.

> > Now, the changes are made, and what's done is done.  Can we please just
> > move on?
>
> I was going to move along, but I felt your email had so many errors, I
> couldn't let it got by.

Nice try baiting me.  I've said my two cents worth, and I'm done with this
discussion.

Adam