On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Pekka Paalanen <p...@iki.fi> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:12:07 +0100
> Michel Dänzer <mic...@daenzer.net> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2009-11-23 at 10:55 -0500, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
>> > The headers in include/drm will be installed and libdrm_radeon
>> > should be updated to use those headers instead of the ones in
>> > radeon/ since they're what's upstream.
>>
>> At least one of the headers in question - radeon_bo.h - isn't in
>> the kernel (and it probably makes no sense to put userland
>> specific headers like that in the kernel) and is outdated in
>> include/drm.
>
> Now that we are talking about headers, what is the proper layout
> of *installed* headers?
>
> I'm leaving out $prefix in the following.
>
> include/drm/
>        I'd assume that should contain only the kernel headers,
> and those are going a away soonish or ASAP. (krh already tried to
> remove them ;-)
>
> include/drm/
>        seems to be also containing libdrm_radeon user API headers?
>
> include/intel_bufmgr.h
>        libdrm_intel has their header sitting in the root include
> dir.
>
> include/nouveau/
>        almost all libdrm_nouveau headers are here, except
> nouveau_drmif.h, which should probably be moved.
>
> include/xf86drm.h
> include/xf86drmMode.h
>        and then these two...
>
> So, each of the three drivers have their headers installed
> differently, and Nouveau manages to fail even in that. :-)
>
> What should installed header tree look like?

Yup, as far as I can tell that's what it looked like before my re-org
and it's what it finally looks like again.  I defnitely agree that
it's not an ideal layout, but we can't change it without breaking
things.  However, now that we use .pc files we should be able to move
things around without recent libdrm users breaking.

I'm not sure if it's worthwhile though, but if we're moving files
around, it's something we can do (mostly) on a per driver basis, but
we should of course agree on what kind of layout we want.  I'd suggest
keeping only kernel header files in include/drm, moving xf86drm.h and
xf86drmMode.h to /usr/include/libdrm and moving chipset headers to
/usr/include/libdrm/$chipset.

cheers,
Kristian