I'm trying to put together a highly optimized compute driver for the
company I work for and had to ask this question myself recently.  From
what I know there's only one reason it hasn't gotten pushed, but that's
being worked on by someone at RH.

However to clear up some of the doubts about this licensing bs..

Someone from SFLC was kind enough to provide.. (copy/paste with part not
needed omitted)
------------

Generally, there are three ways to infringe copyright: actually copying (or
modifying or distributing) a copyrighted work (a typical copyright
infringement), circumventing a technological measure that controls access to a
copyrighted work (a DMCA violation), or violating the license that gave you the
right to copy the work to begin with (a EULA violation).  If the Nouveau FAQ is
correct, and they are not copying or modifying NVidia's blob, then this cannot
be a copyright infringement in the classic sense.

I also don't think that monitoring GPU register activity or the graphics card's
memory is a DMCA violation.  Neither of these data are copyrighted material.
The blob is, but Nouveau isn't trying to access the blob, and I see no evidence
that NVidia has used any technological measures to protect it anyway.

An important disclaimer in case you intend to share this email with anyone at
the Nouveau project: please keep in mind that this is privileged advice for you,
and not for the Nouveau project generally.  If you chose to share any of this
information with the Nouveau project or any third party, you would wave
attorney-client privilege regarding this email and the third party should not
rely on this advice, but should seek their own counsel.

./C