Pekka Paalanen

 > The fact is, if there are license questions, then Fedora had
 > better not be distributing the code either. And they clearly are.

I've no idea how they pulled that, but I have not heard anyone
say that there are *no* legal issues at all.

 > I've heard the "but it's hard to merge" excuse too - which I also
 > know is bullshit, because I can look at the git tree Fedora
 > apparently uses, and it merges without any conflicts what-so-ever.

No-one has said that about Nouveau, have they?

 > The most common excuse is the "oh, but it might change" crap. But
 > that's not even a very good excuse to start with, and it's what
 > staging is for anyway.

Yes, and to my understanding Nouveau is past that excuse. People
just like to quote what they heard last.

The big question is what we call ctxprogs: binary blobs that are
clearly executable, running somewhere in the GPU. No-one seems
to know, if those are copyrightable, or if they can be redistributed.
In their current form, they have been recorded from the nvidia
proprietary driver using mmiotrace, and copied verbatim for each
card type.

Would you be willing to pull that kind of stuff into Linux?

I would not even dare sending them to the Linux firmware
repository, since they have some license requirements, too.

-------------------
(apologies about the copy paste of thread, but I'm joining the list late)

Please see my other response.  From my perspective there is only
technical issues remaining and no license issues.  I am just evaluating
and receiving information from one of the nouveau devs.  However,
ctxprogs was obtained in the same way that the rest of the information
was via dumping from the mmio-traces.  (As stated above)

So beyond all this I have been in discussion with someone at nv about
their view.  I have a call setup for next Monday and anyone interested
to participate or listen in please ping me off list.

./C