On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 5:08 PM, pcrews <glee...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/13/2011 10:38 AM, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>> Of course. However, I already posted why I think the two things should
>> be changed. Without a response to those arguments, I don't see what
>> else I could do.
>
> With all due respect, you only provided a reason for why one thing should be
> changed and that was purely an opinion:

The & being part of the type is not an opinion, is it?
The name of the var is "foo", it's not "&foo".
The type is "string&". It's not "string".

> string&foo;
>

>>  IMO it should be string&. The&  is part of the type, not part of the
>> name.
>>

> My argument is that if you want to touch something that affects everyone
> like coding standards, that you should attempt to demonstrate real benefits
> for change (beyond IMO).  You are asking people to do something - change
> what is currently working for everyone else on the project - *you* should
> explain what is in it for the people you are asking to do the work of
> changing.  Of course, it is possible that you think simply conforming with
> your opinions is reward enough ; )

Hehe, no, that's certainly not the case.

> In regards to the parentheses, you illustrate your behavior for me:
>
> return (x == MY_TYPE);
>

>>  Is there any need for those parentheses?
>
> *That* is not a reason for change - that is demanding that people expend
> time and energy explaining why they don't conform to your way of doing
> things.  If you do consider that to be an explanation - you don't understand
> why it is, therefore it should not be - then we have a larger communication
> problem than I had initially thought.

I'm sorry, I assumed my question would imply why. I guess I should've
phrased it another way.
The parentheses are not necessary. (return x) == MY_TYPE; is not a
valid alternative.
As the parentheses aren't necessary to clarify the meaning of the
statement, they're (IMO) visual clutter.

> At the end of the day, this is in the hands of everyone, I am simply saying
> that you are being excessively pushy with your opinions without providing
> any demonstrable advantage for doing things your way.

I'm sorry, I don't intent to be pushy.
--
Olaf