Excerpts from Henrik Ingo's message of Thu Mar 29 21:16:26 -0700 2012:
> Daniel:
>
> Have you thought about authorization for this? I mean we wouldn't want
> any old logged in user to be able to
>
> SET GLOBAL auth_file.users=/home/hingo/igivemyselfrootpowers.users
>
> (Making the plugin reload the existing file will be helpful. But it
> might not be a good idea to allow to change that value.)

Agreed. I'd like to see plugins like auth_file and regex_policy given
a generic way to "watch" their files. There are a number of ways to do
this, but I don't think each plugin should implement its own method.

Thoughts I've had on this:

* A thread which uses either inotify  or falls back to polling
with stat(), and whenever there is a change, calls any registered code
to update that file's effect.

* An admin command like  REFRESH '/etc/drizzle/regex.policy' which does
the same thing as the thread without the inotify/polling.

* Cache the stat() call on the file and periodically expire the cache
and refresh the contents if stat() indicates that it has changed.