On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 17:58 +0200, Andrea Bollini wrote:
> [...]
> >
> the authority key (ID) is a String so you can easly wrap multiple
> authorities behind an unique authority plugin and add the "authority
> schema" (i.e. person_) as prefix.
> The authority control system is also aware of the collection where the
> item is included so that you can use this information to query only
> the right authority in most of cases.
>
> > 3) A number (trust grade into the alignment of the ID with the text
> > value) (new column also).
> >
> You can manage variants and translations implementing the
> org.dspace.content.authority.AuthorityVariantsSupport
> interface. We have used this to provide in the Hub <http://hub.hku.hk>
> the ability to insert the same researcher in more place of the browse
> index (Chinese name, English name, etc.) see for example
>
> Researcher: http://hub.hku.hk/rp/rp00056
>
> in the browse system as "Bacon-Shone"
> http://hub.hku.hk/browse?type=author&order=ASC&rpp=100&starts_with=Bacon-Shone
>
> in the browse system as "白景崇"
> http://hub.hku.hk/browse?type=author&order=ASC&rpp=100&starts_with =白
> 景崇
>

> Please note also that the authority key is indexed as untokenized
> field in the lucene document
> http://fisheye3.atlassian.com/browse/dspace/dspace/trunk/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/search/DSIndexer.java?r=HEAD
> > 1013
> >                                doc.add( new
> > Field(indexConfigArr[i].indexName+"_authority",
> > 1014
> >                                   mydc[j].authority,
> > 1015
> >                                   Field.Store.NO,
> > 1016
> >                                   Field.Index.UN_TOKENIZED));
> and all the related "text data" (primary form and variants) are
> indexed in the normal way.
>

> Mateusz, I definitely agree with Christophe you should use the
> authority control framework to archive your goals without hack the
> DSpace data model.
> The information that you want store are mostly related to entities
> that doesn't need to go in DSpace.
> You can build external systems, nicely integrated with DSpace, to
> store and manage this information, this is the approach that we have
> used to manage the ResearcherPage @ HKU project.
> The affiliation of an author is, mostly of the time, a metadata of the
> author not a metadata of the item...
> IMHO you should build an external system where any authors has one or
> more affiliations, keeping date range information and other details
> about any position.
> The DSpace Item only need to store a reference to the author record
> and using the authority key you are able to query the "affiliation
> system" to retrieve and display all the needed information.
> Please note that the above examples apply exactly this strategy, the
> Browse system has not hacked in the HUB, we have only improved the
> "view" so that the ResearcherPage system is queried and extra

Yes, I agree.  That is probably the solution we will deploy.  We will
benefit from DSpace (IR) and our existing bibliographical system.  What
we would do is a clean interface between them.  IMHO that would be
better than incorporating (quite sophisticated) bibliographical
functions in DSpace.

> Your most complex goal to archive is enable browsing and searching for
> informations included in the "external system". You should try to
> extends the DSpace browse/search system in a way to be more pluggable
> during the index phase so to be able to index also informations not
> directly included in the item.

I am actually working on that solution.  I try to achieve as much as
possible by configuring (not modifying the code) DSpace.

> Best,
> Andrea Bollini

thanks for the tips

--