There do appear to be "exceptions" they have drafted for FLOSS applications
not under GPL...

http://www.sencha.com/legal/open-source-faq/open-source-license-exception-for-applications/

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Mark Diggory <mdigg...@atmire.com> wrote:

> Senchas interpretation of GPL is bordering on the "ridiculous":
>
> http://www.sencha.com/legal/open-source-faq/
>
> Example
>
> For example: let’s take a mortgage processing software program. Let’s say
> that the application has a front-end (that generates web pages linked to Ext
> JS JavaScript) that communicates over
>
> JSON/HTTP with a backend service. This backend service contains approval
> and validation logic for this application alone. Even if only the front-end
> uses Ext JS code, you should consider that the combination of front and back
> ends constitutes the application, and the source code for both back and
> front end would need to be provided to the application’s end users under
> GPLv3 if the application is used by an end-user who is not part of the same
> legal entity that holds the GPLv3 license to the Ext JS code.
>

> Sorry but.... THATS a BUNCH of BULL! So now GPL infects across "http
> messaging protocol" as well? Simply referencing a GPL javascript file via
> URL constitutes your application being a derivative work and having to be
> GPL'd as well? The problem with the above logic is that the Serverside
> Application is "upstream", Ext JS is talking to "it" not the other way
> around, the server side application is not dependent on Ext JS, the
> "Browser" is the one thats dependent on ExtJS to render the view, so what
> then... all Browsers need to be GPL'd as well?  I would buy that the
> javascript you write thats dependent on the ExtJS javascript would need to
> be GPL... but not the server delivering the REST interface it communicates
> with. The direction of dependency is important here...
>
> We will need to have a dialog about Javascript framework choices that are
> fitting for DSpace's BSD style licensing and determine if we tolerate using
> a library from a company with such an odd interpretation.
>

>> I would heartily welcome suggestions/recommendations for the project from
>> the community.
>>
>> [1] https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/REST+API
>> [2]
>> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/WebMVC+(Freemarker)+UI<https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/WebMVC+%28Freemarker%29+UI>
>> [3] http://www.sencha.com/products/extjs/
>> [4] http://dojotoolkit.org/widgets
>> [5] http://jxlib.org/
>> [6] http://www.uize.com/
>> [7] http://mochaui.org/
>>

>> Thanks and Regards,
>>
>> --
>> *Vibhaj Rajan
>> Junior Undergraduate
>> Department of Computer Engineering
>> Institute of Technology BHU Varanasi
>> +91 92 3531 2784
>>
>> *
>
> --
Mark R. Diggory
@mire - www.atmire.com
2888 Loker Avenue East - Suite 305 - Carlsbad - CA - 92010
Technologielaan 9 - 3001 Heverlee - Belgium