Thanks Hardy!

I'm on tomcat 8.5 already, and my startup options are pretty simple:

CATALINA_OPTS="$CATALINA_OPTS -Djava.awt.headless=true
  -Djava.library.path=/usr/local/tomcat-native.lib
  -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8
  -Xms16384m -Xmx16384m
  -Dsolr.autoSoftCommit.maxTime=120000 -Dsolr.autoCommit.maxTime=4800000"

That's half my available RAM, and this is a dedicated machine.  Nothing
else is running on it (well, except postgresql).  These settings served me
very well when running DSpace 5, but if you have any other suggestions I
would love to try them out!

Cheers!
Bill