Glenn (I copied in dspace-tech again, just so this gets in our mail
"archives"),

Yes, it looks like there was a problem emailing the registration
information to the user.

Whenever someone Registers in DSpace software, they are sent an email
which confirms the registration request, and allows them to set up a
password.

It looks like your installation of DSpace isn't able to connect to your
SMTP mail server, to send off the registration email.

Is it possible you forgot to set up the Mail Server settings in the
dspace.cfg configuration file?  You want to look for this line in
dspace.cfg:

# SMTP mail server
mail.server=smtp.myu.edu

And, make sure that you set it to a valid local or campus email server,
which can send any email messages that DSpace generates.

- Tim

Glenn Bunton wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> Here is what I think is the key error info. Looks like a mail relay issue,
> right?
>

> 2007-02-08 13:09:29,126 INFO  org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.RegisterServlet
> @
> anonymous:session_id=154AF78708A1784A6A72FBEE0C7D64C2:error_emailing:[EMAIL
> PROTECTED]
> javax.mail.SendFailedException: Sending failed;
>   nested exception is:
>       class javax.mail.SendFailedException: Invalid Addresses;
>   nested exception is:
>       class com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPAddressFailedException: 554
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>: Relay access denied
>
> ==================================
> Mr. Glenn Bunton
> Head of Systems Development
> Old Dominion University Libraries
> Norfolk, Virginia 23529
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (757) 683-5952
> ===================================
>

>              Tim Donohue
>              <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>              u>                                                         To
>                                        "Nguessan, Michel"
>              02/08/2007 02:39          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>              PM                                                         cc
>                                        Glenn Bunton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>                                        dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net
>                                                                    Subject
>                                        Re: [Dspace-tech] Eperson problem
>

> Glenn and Michel,
>
> Could both of you send along the underlying error message(s) you are
> getting?
>
> Usually, you should be able to find the full error message in either
>
> (1) the DSpace log file in [dspace]/log/dspace.log (where [dspace] is
> the location where you have DSpace installed)
>
> OR
>
> (2) the Tomcat log files (under the "logs" directory where Tomcat is
> installed).  Usually in the latest "localhost" logfile.
>
> Seeing the underlying error message can be very helpful in diagnosing
> what the actual problem may be.  :)
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Tim
>
> Nguessan, Michel wrote:
>> I am having the same user registration problem here at Governors State
>> University. Anybody knows how to fix this issue?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> Michel Nguessan, PhD
>> Assistant Professor of Library Science
>> Head of Library & Academic Technology
>> Governors State University Library
>> University Park, IL  60466
>> Phone: (708) 235 2143
>> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tim Donohue
Research Programmer, Illinois Digital Environment for
Access to Learning and Scholarship (IDEALS)
135 Grainger Engineering Library

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web:   http://ideals.uiuc.edu
phone: (217) 333-4648