Sands,

That is generally the best option, however it's not your only option.
One at least one theme we have done we've split out the document
template so that it checks the page your on and based upon that may do
something special. Basically the document template consists of a
series of if statements that say if your url fits this regex pattern
do this, or this, or otherwise. I wouldn't say this is the greatest
design pattern but it does work. If your theme really is two distinct
themes this definitely create separate themes and install them on
different urls.

Another strategy you can employ is to use the DRI ids. Each element in
dri has three attributes: n (name), id (identifier), and rend
(rendering hints). The attribute n is unique among its sibling
elements where id should be unique globally across the system. This
gives you a third option, inside the specific element (most likely a
id = XXX then do something special otherwise default to the normal
behavior.

Scott--