Hi Brett,

On 3/09/2009, at 4:34 PM, Brett, Hamish wrote:

I am attempting to reconfigure our statistics. However when I run the required
scripts I am not getting any stats older than 2 months ago.

When I look in the .dat files in /dspace/log that have been generated they are
almost except for the last 2 months empty even though a lot has occured for the
last 3 years.

I am pretty sure I have all the log files.

I have only changed the date in the dstat.cfg file.

An example of an empty dat file is below.

Any advice for me

I suspect what is happening is that your dspace.log.* files have rolled over
their limit. In [dspace]/config/log4j.properties you can specify how many log
files to keep, and how big each one can be before it rolls over. The default
configuration is quite small (100 files at 1Mb each). So it sounds like you are
getting through that many log files each 2 months.

The problem with the stats module as it stands, is that despite creating .dat
files for log files which have now rolled over and been lost, it recreates them
all each time. This means you lose all the older stats.

The easy short-term solution is to increase the size and/or number of log files
that DSpace creates.

The better solution would be for someone to look at making sure current .dat
files are not overwritten by the stats system. However... the stat system is
getting a complete rewrite in the upcoming 1.6 release, so a lot of people are
waiting for that instead.

I hope this helps,

Stuart Lewis
IT Innovations Analyst and Developer
Te Tumu Herenga The University of Auckland Library
Auckland Mail Centre, Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
Ph: 64 9 373-7599 x81928
http://www.library.auckland.ac.nz/