On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 09:22:56AM -0500, Kantargis, Susan wrote:
> It doesn't look like the problem is there.  In the error message it says
> "User does not have CONNECT privilege".  Could that be the clue?

It is certainly A clue.  CONNECT is new in, I believe, 8.1.  The owner
has it by default.  I've not seen this message before, but I take it
to mean that the connection request got through the firewall (if any),
passed a test in pg_hba.conf, and banged into the ACL on the database.

> Postgres- does have Login Roles "dspace" user and the database is owned by
> "dspace"
> They look the same on both old and new servers.   One little thing...
> database properties the property "ACL" on the new server (with dspace 1.5.2)
> has {}
> and the older server (with dspace 1.5.1) it is blank.

My limited experience with Pg ACLs is reminding me that an empty ACL
invokes the default permissions, but as soon as you change something,
the unaffected defaults are combined with that change and the result
is used to form the ACL.  So a nonempty ACL with no terms probably
means no access by anyone.  I would try clearing that "{}" ACL and see
what happens.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Friends don't let friends publish revisable-form documents.