On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 03:20:35PM -0500, Kantargis, Susan wrote:
> In pgAdmin I'm unable to change the value.  Do you know what file this would
> be in?

Roles and permissions are tucked away in a table stored in one (or
more?) of those essentially anonymous files with numeric names that
PostgreSQL creates in the database cluster's 'base' directory.  Unless
you know a lot more than I do about Pg internals, you should not touch
those files.  I never do.

I've tinkered a bit with a test database and pgAdmin.  It appears that
one can get into this state by doing something like adding privileges
and then removing all privileges on the database, leading to the empty
non-null ACL "{}".  There doesn't seem to be any way out of this state
except to use the database superuser account (typically "postgres") to
grant some privileges to some role.  I wasn't able to find any way to
just remove the empty ACL and restore default behavior, either through
pgAdmin or through psql.

> Otherwise, it maybe that I need to remove the empty database and create it
> again.

If you have no data yet, DROPping and reCREATEing the database is
probably the easiest thing to do.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Friends don't let friends publish revisable-form documents.