I think there are two strategies here

1.) Store the generated jp2 in a bitstream, create your own bundle, name it
whatever you want or store it next to the existing bitstream in the content
bundle if you want to also share the generated file for others to use.  Then
expose the filesystem location of the file to your adore-jakota viewer.

2.) Store the generated jp2 file in an external directory that can be
calculated and rather than storing anything about this detail in the Item,
come up with a way to calculate the location of that file, if it exists,
then show your viewer.

(1) violates the storage layer boundary of DSpace, in the future you may not
have filesystem access to that file, but your getting the benefit of storing
the jp2 file in the assetstore as well. (2) is more respectful of the
storage boundary and but doesn't assure any preservation storage of your
generated file within DSpace.

I would choose 2 over 1 because it separates your implementation from dspace
internals, and in XMLUI can be implemented entirely in the theming tier

You could take your own approach and generate a bundle/bitstream with some
sort of file system reference to the file. But there may be less chance of
breakage by repo managers if its a calculated reference rather than a stored
reference.

I like (2) and if we had the development resources, I'd promote the idea
that we should have more than one possible "storage" tier for DSpace,
allowing maintainers to create there own separate storage locations for
derivatives that may require specific storage/access requirements and access
to by other applications. The work you do here could go to producing such an
API.

Cheers,
Mark

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 2:55 PM, John Preston <byhisde...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I am seeking a little guidance here. I am setting up adore-djatoka with
> dspace 1.6. I have a dsrunable java class that goes through my collections
> and looks for all large image files and creates jpeg2000 versions of these
> under a particular directory. After creating the jp2 version of the file I
> want to create a dummy file in a new JP2000 bundle that I can manipulate
> within the xmlui to add a clickable link that will popup the adore-djatoka
> viewer to give access to the jp2 file.
>
> My question is how best should I store the jp2 file location, using a
> specific jp2 bundle say, to be able to manipulate it within the xmlui. Also
> how would the xsl code like like to access the name of the jp2 file location
>
> John

Mark R. Diggory
Head of U.S. Operations - @mire

http://www.atmire.com - Institutional Repository Solutions