> 1.) Store the generated jp2 in a bitstream, create your own bundle, name it
> whatever you want or store it next to the existing bitstream in the content
> bundle if you want to also share the generated file for others to use.  Then
> expose the filesystem location of the file to your adore-jakota viewer.
>
> 2.) Store the generated jp2 file in an external directory that can be
> calculated and rather than storing anything about this detail in the Item,
> come up with a way to calculate the location of that file, if it exists,
> then show your viewer.

I intended to use 2 because I don't want to use the jp2 in a preservation
context just to get zoomable viewing for large images. I intended to run a
script periodically, or maybe triggered by an event, to generate the jp2
files which should not interfere with the dspace files.

> (1) violates the storage layer boundary of DSpace, in the future you may
> not have filesystem access to that file, but your getting the benefit of
> storing the jp2 file in the assetstore as well. (2) is more respectful of
> the storage boundary and but doesn't assure any preservation storage of your
> generated file within DSpace.
>
> I would choose 2 over 1 because it separates your implementation from
> dspace internals, and in XMLUI can be implemented entirely in the theming
> tier
>
> You could take your own approach and generate a bundle/bitstream with some
> sort of file system reference to the file. But there may be less chance of
> breakage by repo managers if its a calculated reference rather than a stored
> reference.

The reference I use for calculating the jp2 file storage is <jp2 root>/<item
handle>/<sequence id>/<file name>.jp2. The jp2 files will be available via a
lighttpd web server to off load the file access from the dspace tomact
instance. So I know how to construct the full path to the jp2 file. My issue
is how do I simply save within the dspace context, the fact that I now have
a jp2 derivative of this bitstream so that the item page can get a clickable
link to enable the jp2 viewer. Bitstreams don't have there own metadata so I
can't add anything that I could access in the xsl theme. I'm already using
the description and I don't want to trouble that. I was then thinking of
adding a dummy jp2 bundle, like what the filer media code does for
thumbnails so that I could save the fact that a particular bitstream had a
jp2 file available, but I'm not clear on how to do this for my needs. Any
help here would be appreciated.

> I like (2) and if we had the development resources, I'd promote the idea
> that we should have more than one possible "storage" tier for DSpace,
> allowing maintainers to create there own separate storage locations for
> derivatives that may require specific storage/access requirements and access
> to by other applications. The work you do here could go to producing such an
> API.

That's fine by me but I would need some hints on which approach might give
the best result.

John