David et al.

I have been following this discussion and trying to determine an
appropriate point of entry.  So lets dive in...

In @mire, we are highly invested in the DRI solution at this time,
proposing a major change in DRI for DSpace 1.7 is not something that
@mire will support due to the impact it will have on our clients
dspace solutions.  Likewise, discussion internally has lead to an
opinion that breaking up the xslt into separate files for each page
actually defeats the design goals of the XMLUI theming tier.  I.E.
having one file within which all customizations reside to manage your
theme.  Using separate files that are overridden introduces a variant
to the current approach and possibly more confusion about which
template is being applied.  The current mechanism relies solely on
xslt template priorities for the determination of what templates will
be overridden in one theme and we prefer this approach.

---

This said, however, I have always been interested in alternatives to
METS for flagging the content necessary for rendering a view... The
separation of DRI and METS was a bit of an evolutionary attempt to
improve the performance and there are some kludges within it. the
original design, embedded METS within the DRI, and this it served a
"container-ship" role in aggregating all the data that was necessary
for the view. Performance required the separation of METS under
another pipeline for rendering that content.  There are further
kludges that introduce a "pseudo XPath" capability to retrieve only
specific portions of the METS document"... which is further complexity
that end users are unaware of.  It was this division of content that
made the role DRI less clear.  To be honest, the use of generating
whole METS docs and handing them to the theme to enable the theme
developer to add/remove content from the views is what broke the
separation of concerns. It is the "References and ReferencesSets" that
point at METS documents that violate the generation of content only in
the aspect tier.

This became very clear when working on Discovery, I became aware of
the use of METS as a source for the search, browse and recently added
resultsets in a search is a bit of over engineering and an attempt to
model the older JSPUI approaches to selecting the fields from the
actual Item object that should be present in search results... Its
actually quite a pain to get around.  This choice of approach actually
makes it more difficult to use the output from the Solr search engine
(return fields, hit highlighting, ranking info, etc) to assist in
rendering. In which case, I was actually more interested in rendering
the search engine results as DRI list elements and not as a set of
METS references.  I still feel this way, and in which case, for the
long term, I'm promoting a solution for discovery that is still DRI
centric. So, changing the use of DRI in this area will derail that
development direction.

So, to be clear, the ability to construct nested divisions, lists,
options, meta sections is quite powerful for getting the structure of
the content pushed into the presentation layer.  We are talking here
about not just the semantic structure of the page to be rendered but
also the content of the DSpace item, community, collection etc.  I see
an argument here about "form fields" vs. "links". And this is an
example of why we want to use Aspects to generate the content of the
page (including the required inputs) as opposed to having the theme
developer do it.  Adding a form field is a Aspect developer project,
deciding if its a plain old textbox or some dynamic html rich text
widget is a theming/branding activity.

In fact, if one were to make any changes to DRI, it might be argued,
based on the above examples, that Most of DRI interactive forms would
have been better suited to be Cocoon CFORMS
(http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/blocks/forms/1.0/489_1_1.html). This
would have made it very clear that Aspects produce page structural
content (including forms) and that Themes simply style that content
and give an opportunity to override some the output.  This would have
reused a key set of tooling already developed in the Cocoon community
and in use today in projects such as Apache Lenya. CFORMS are the
converse of javascript flow that Tim was talking about, rather than
using CFORMS, TAMU instead invented a custom mechanism for
representing interactive sections of content in DRI. CFORMS could be
employed to replace Interactive DRI sections or at the theming layer
to brand the existing DRI as CFORMS.  Both are probably viable
approaches.

Mark

Mark R. Diggory
Head of U.S. Operations - @mire