Hello DSpace developers,

I want to add my 2 cents not as a developer who understands DSpace
internals (because so far I don't) but as a user who wants to
customize the interface for his institution. With all respect to you,
I have to agree with the point David brought - Java shouldn't create
user interface. You're making clear all the disadvantages this brings,
so let me make the advantage clear. It would enable more people to
customize their DSpace. Please keep in mind that not all users may be
familiar with all the advanced technology used here. Usually they only
want to add a UI element and still it requires them to understand both
themes and aspects (i.e. XSLT and Java). I see no obvious reason why
Java should insert (pseudo-)HTML elements. This requires me to
customize Java code and I want to avoid it if at all possible because
of the maintenance costs of keeping customizations up-to-date.

To be more specific, I first encountered DSpace and tried to customize
it. I gave up many ideas just because of mentioned maintenance cost.
In the end, my customizations are only CSS and I left themes almost
because I didn't want to modify aspects but it was not possible. If
you look at DRI body, this is HTML look-alike which gets generated by
Aspects, options and meta are cool.

Later, I encountered Xerxes, which is a system David designed and
which also uses XSLT for its presentation layer. The main difference
for me is that I don't have to change code if I want to add a UI
element. I have all the data available in XML "key-value pairs" (an
approach David mentioned here earlier) and I get to pick anything and
render it as I see fit. I love this approach because all my
modifications are only overridden XSLT templates. The closer I stick
to the upstream version, the easier are the upgrades.

So please, make DSpace more accessible to the average user. Keep
simple things simple to lower the barrier of entry (you want a large
and thriving community, right?). Even if you have to develop a third
alternative to JSPUI and XMLUI.

Regards,
~~helix84