Franck -

Is your repository dspace.cfg configured to create, from the
description.abstract field

 - a Lucene search index, configured with the search.index parameters, used for
the search function in DSpace

OR

- a PostgreSQL index, configured with webui.browse.index, used for the browse
function in DSpace.

If it's configured for both,  do you really have a need to browse (not search)
by the description.abstract field?  Does the handle update work when you
disable the browse configuration for description.abstract?

You could run the SQL that updates the handles manually, but I suspect you
would still have problems later when your index-update process runs.