Hi Keith,

thanks for your answer.
Franck -

Is your repository dspace.cfg configured to create, from the description.abstract field

- a Lucene search index, configured with the search.index parameters, used for the search function in DSpace

OR

- a PostgreSQL index, configured with webui.browse.index, used for the browse function in DSpace.

I was wrong: Not description.abstract.field make update-handle-prefix/index-init failed, but the title field. I have imported the items via batch file and some titles are extremly long. Is there any reason why DSpace uses B-tree instead of Hash for the PostgreSQL index?

If it's configured for both, do you really have a need to browse (not search) by the description.abstract field? Does the handle update work when you disable the browse configuration for description.abstract?

You could run the SQL that updates the handles manually, but I suspect you would still have problems later when your index-update process runs.

Yes. The simplest solution I found was to shorten the title via script.

I have updated the metadatavalue of the author field. Now it is not empty anymore. The error: "2010-12-10 11:53:40,074 ERROR org.dspace.browse.IndexBrowse @ Null metadata value for item 1119, field: dc.contributor.author " doesn't appear anymore.

The second error is a result of that the B-tree index in PostgreSQL has a maximum size of 2713 bytes. I am working on a project that includes the need to store a fair amount of raw text in the dc.description.abstract field. It seems that I am forced to outsource the abstract into an text file and then upload this file into dspace... :(

Has anyone an idea how to resolve this issue?

-- Franck

Have a nice day!

-- Franck

Franck Borel