On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 09:55:20AM -0300, Jason Nugent wrote:
> >> Currently i have a running installation of Dpsace and it is thought to be
> >> of ver 1.3.2.
> >>
> >> Few things i like to get advice from u guys are as follows:
> >>
> >> First:
> >>
> >> Is there any way to find the correct dspace version from the installation
> >> directory files(we do't have any records of previous Dspace installation)
>
> You can examine the HTML output of your existing DSpace site, and look for
> the <meta> tag in the top part of the document.  It will say something like

> And from that you will have your version number.

That was added somewhere in the 1.6 line.  It doesn't exist in 1.3.

If you still have the source code for what you are running, you could
look for:

o  a README file.  I have a copy of 1.4.2 and the README says "DSpace
   Version 1.4.2, 8-May-2007" near the top.

o  a CHANGES file.  The version number nearest the top should be the
   one represented by the source kit you have.

> >> Second:
> >>
> >> Does a simple copying and restoring of asseststore and database wrks for
> >> the upgrading process..?
>
> The assetstore directory simply exists on disk and you can just copy it with
> standard unix commands.  I'd suggest backing it up, and then copying it into
> the assetstore directory (maintaining permissions in the process), for the
> upgrade. Likewise, there are Postgres tools for backing up your database.
> Please have a look at the pg_dump command, which will export the SQL and
> database structure out to disk.

Those tools work well for backup and restore *to the same version*,
but dumping and loading a DSpace 1.3 schema will result in a new copy
of a 1.3 schema.  You need to follow the upgrade instructions in the
manual:

  http://www.dspace.org/1_6_2Documentation/ch04.html

to upgrade the database schema, and you need to update the dspace.cfg
as documented in the manual.  You need to carry out the schema and
configuration updates in order for each version between the one you
start with and the one you end at, but you don't need to install all
of those intermediate versions.  This is explained in the Upgrading
chapter of the documentation.  If that leaves you with further
questions, ask!

The assetstore layout hasn't changed in years and should require no
updates.  We've been running DSpace since 1.2 or so and I don't recall
ever having to do anything with the assetstore except protect it
as-is.  (That includes backing it up regularly and before upgrades!)

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Asking whether markets are efficient is like asking whether people are smart.