Thank you Graham - I have not tried creating two metadata.xml files for a
single item from two different schemas but I will and will report the results.
-Simon

From: Graham Triggs [mailto:grahamtri...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, May 09, 2011 2:45 AM
To: Robin Taylor
Cc: Brown, Simon Contractor, Digital Consulting Services;
dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Dspace-tech] Conflict with mixing metadata schemas and batch
ingest

On 9 May 2011 09:31, Robin Taylor
<robin.tay...@ed.ac.uk<mailto:robin.tay...@ed.ac.uk>> wrote:
> 2)     While you can mix metadata elements for an item from multiple
> schemas in manual submission, for the batch ingest you can only
> specify a single schema for the batch.
I haven't used this in recent times but I thought you could mix schema.
I know there are lots of references to the 'Dublin Core metadata' in the
code but I thought that was just a hangover from the days when only
Dublin Core was used, and in fact you could mix metadata schema. have
you tried this out ?

IIRC, this isn't particularly well documented. But it is possible to create
import packages using multiple metadata schemas.

The trick is to have separate metadata files for each schema. 'dc' goes into
the standard dublin_core.xml, But for any other schema, you need to create a
file called:

metadata_<prefix>.xml

The contents of which is structured just like dublin_core.xml, except on the
<dublin_core> element, you need to include a schema="<prefix>" attribute.