Hi Simon,

The qualifier bit that DSpace allows is really just descriptive
documentation and not part of the DC spec. Have a look at the Index of
Terms in here http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms . Once upon a
time DC was restricted to the 15 terms listed in the 'legacy' namespace,
they were later augmented with some more terms added in the 'terms'
namespace. DSpace's metadata registry has become a bit outdated over the
years and is a sort of mixture of the two with some extras and with our
own qualifiers added. What you find is that where the metadata is
exposed to the outside world eg for OAI harvesting purposes, the
qualifiers are stripped away and some naming corrections are made.

Hope that helps,

Cheers, Robin.