Hi Marianna,

Am 17.06.2011 13:40, schrieb Marianna Mühlhölzer:
> Hi Bojan,
>
> I want to use the REST Interface for browsing our DSpace repository by
> title, date and subject. When trying to sort items I get problems with
> the pagination. The _perpage parameter does not work. Using _perpage
> alone has no influence on the number of retrieved items. I always get
> all items. Using a combination of _perpage and _page delivers strange
> results. For example, _perpage=2&_page=1 gives all items,
> _perpage=4&_page=1 gives 4 items, and _perpage=4&_perpage=2 is empty.

I opened JIRA issue for this problem, this is probably a bug.

> I have two further questions:
>
> 1. The sorting process gives no information about the total number of
> items in the repository. Therefore, before starting pagination I have to
> request all items and count them, in order to realize the pagination.
> Is there a better way to do browsing via REST?

This problem is related with DSpace API, as the underlying functions do
not provide such information. In some big collections this introduces
performance problem too, as we need to read bigger portion of data than
is to be served. Some time ago I posted a patch for this but it do not
covers Oracle and other RDMBSs completely, so should be considered
different way.

> 2. The metadata of an item are presented as strings, which is not very
> comfortable to handle. I would prefer to have them via tag per metadata
> field. Do you plan to realize something like this?

This issue has been rissen by Robin Taylor too. I haven't considered it
as a problem before. It is currently reported on the JIRA list and will
probably have a lower priority as there are other issues deemed more
important.

Thanks/Regards
Bojan