Hi Miguel,

Since I've been working on this recently I thought I'd take a look and see
what I could find. I went to the dspace wiki and specifically went to the
online documentation for version 1.5.2 at the following address:
http://www.dspace.org/1_5_2Documentation/ch09.html#N139C1

It seems to say here that the format exported by the version of the tool in
1.5.2 does not create a true AIP. There are also some limitations listed:

*) No corresponding import tool yet
*) No structmap section
*) Some technical metadata not written, e.g. the primary bitstream in a
bundle, original filenames or descriptions.
*) Only the MIME type is stored, not the (finer grained) bitstream format.

I'm not familiar enough with the system to say that later versions could
not import the 1.5.2 export, but it does not seem likely. If nothing else
though, I believe that you could feasibly upgrade your 1.5.2 instance to
1.7.2 or 1.8.1 and be successful with your exports/imports as long as
things were configured correctly. Also, if you did choose to go this route,
I would highly recommend moving past 1.7.2 to the latest 1.8.1 because of a
couple significant issues with version 1.7.2 and the AIP tool (one is a
memory problem which can have an effect when exporting a large volume of
records [I've only had this issue when exporting an entire site], the other
involves the AIP tool's ability to auto-create necessary metadata fields
when importing). I haven't tested things in 1.8.x yet, but I've either been
told or have seen the resolved Jira for both these issues in 1.8.x.

If anyone else has more specific information, please do contribute.

Cheers!

 - Patrick

Dublin Core to MODS mapping is very simple, probably needs verification