Helix,

Correct; if I comment out the mail.server.username and
mail.server.password in the generated / "final" dspace.cfg sending email
works.  Also, I was mistaken before regarding `dspace test-email`, it
behaves the same way as the emails from the "Forgot Password" etc; I had
previously stated that these were working regardless, but I was wrong.

This is probably a corner case for people using un-authenticated SMTP I
guess... Ironically, I've been yelling at our ISP to enable
authentication for years ;)

Alan

On 05/23/2013 12:34 PM, helix84 wrote:
> OK, here's how I understood it: if you comment out
> mail.server.username and mail.server.password, it works, but if you
> leave them empty, it doesn't work (presumably because it sends empty
> values).
>
> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Alan Orth <alan.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If I comment out the mail.* settings in my production.properties file I get
>> an error about circular definitions:
> Yes, unfortunately, this is a known limitation of the Maven filtering
> process as documented here:
> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC3x/Configuration#Configuration-Thebuild.propertiesConfigurationPropertiesFile
>

> I guess the the only solution we can provide in DSpace is not to send
> username and password if they're both empty.
>

> The relevant code is here:
> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-3.1/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/core/Email.java#L265
>
> It seems to me the code should behave the same (username == null)
> regardless of whether mail.server.username is commented out or has an
> empty value. But I would need to verify this.
>

> Regards,
> ~~helix84
>
> Compulsory reading: DSpace Mailing List Etiquette

Alan Orth
alan.o...@gmail.com
http://alaninkenya.org
http://mjanja.co.ke
"I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my telephone; my
wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how to use my telephone."
-Bjarne Stroustrup, inventor of C++