On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 9:32 PM, Thornton, Susan M. (LARC-B702)[LITES]
<susan.m.thorn...@nasa.gov> wrote:
>         I'm assuming that once we would copy the /webapps directory over to
> the Production machine, we will have to run ant, but not mvn?  Is that
> correct?

You don't have to run Maven on the target machine, maven is run on the
building machine and produces the wars.

Technically, it's possible to do everything that Ant does manually.
Just look at this file what ant actually does, it mostly just copies
files around:
https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-3.1/dspace/src/main/config/build.xml

Here's a brief overview of what ant does:
* copies webapps to installation directory
* copies /lib, /bin, /etc and /solr (configuration, not data) to
installation directory, backing up the old ones
* filters configuration (replaces ${placeholders} with actual values),
copies it over (including the GeoLite database) and optionally
replaces old configuration
* creates/drops the database (not used during "ant update")

It's convenient (and officially recommended) to use ant during
upgrades, but when you're just rebuilding and need to redeploy only
the webapps, you can do it even without ant.

>      Of course we have to have our dspace.cfg file configured for Production,
> but are there any other files that will need to be edited once they're copied
> over to Production?

Not really, no.

There's Tomcat configuration (including Context definitions) but you
do that only once.

Just take care not to lose the Solr statistics core data (if you're
using Solr statistics) because that information is not stored anywhere
else. Same goes for ElasticSearch statistics. Also your old logs
(dspace.log.*) contain old usage events, which can be converted and
imported to Solr or ES.