 From: helix84 <heli...@centrum.sk>
To: otuoma peter <otuomathegr...@yahoo.com>
Cc: "dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net" <dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 1:44 PM
Subject: Re: [Dspace-tech] How to replace the word dspace with repository

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 10:33 PM, otuoma peter <otuomathegr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Well, I have both "salt" and "digest_algorithm" columns. However when i
> remove "LIMIT 1" I can see that the password field is abnomally longer for
> the administrator account that am trying to login with. Previously i had
> replaced this password using UPDATE eperson SET password =
> md5('somepassword') WHERE email = 'some-email';
>
> This was to enable me to recover the password used by the previous system
> admin. It was also before doing the upgrade.
> Am thinking replacing this password again might work though am not sure how
> this will work with the salt combination.

That is normal. The default hash function changed from MD5 to SHA-512
in DSpace 3.

There is a migration mechanism in DSpace 3, so the MD5 hash will still
work (if salt=NULL and digest_algorithm=NULL, which tells DSpace this
is the legacy MD5 password) and on your next login will be replaced
with the SHA-512 hash. Therefore you can still do this to recover your
password:

UPDATE eperson SET password=md5('yourpassword'), salt=NULL,
digest_algorithm=NULL where email='ad...@example.com';

even if Postgres doesn't have a built-in function for SHA-512. DSpace
will re-hash it the next time you log in.

Regards,
~~helix84