Well, the only other thing I can think of is some error in
configuration. How did you upgrade your configuration to 3.x? Did you
take your old one and add new things or did you take the new one and
add all your local changes? I'd recommend the second approach.

You can try the feature out on our demo server:
http://demo.dspace.org/xmlui/

Regards,
~~helix84