On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 7:23 PM, Terry Brady <tw...@georgetown.edu> wrote:
> If I run this command, the log file indicates that my item has been
> "removed", but I am unable to detect an impact caused by running this
> option.  Looking at IndexClient.java and SolrServiceImpl.java I notice that
> the change is not committed in SOLR after it is made.

Hi Terry,

it's entirely possible that it is so. Commits affect performance
heavily, so they are delayed whenever possible to run as many changes
in batch as reasonable using autocommit. You can see the default
values for DSpace here:

https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-3.1/dspace/solr/search/conf/solrconfig.xml#L299

If you want to force a commit manually, it's as easy as running:

curl "http://localhost:8080/solr/search/update?stream.body=<commit/>"

> On both of these occasions, I had to force the re-index of my entire
> repository (update-discovery-index -f).

That shouldn't be necessary. Once the Solr document for a particular
handle is missing, update-discovery-index without the -f parameter
should add it, just as if it were a newly created item.

Let me know whether you got it working.

Regards,
~~helix84