Ivan,

Your recommended solution looks simple and quick to me.  I had not
considered issuing my own transactions against the SOLR service.  Given the
simplicity of your recommendation, your recommendation seems preferable to
adding complexity to the command-line interface.

Looking at the command line help, the left side of the help is clear that
an item handle is recommended.  Based on my experience with the
filter-media handle parameter, I presumed that passing a
collection/community handle to this command might trigger the re-processing
of the entire community/collection.

Here are a couple possible alternatives for the help text.

   - remove an Item from the index based on its handle
   - remove a solr document from the index based on its handle

Terry

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 3:33 AM, helix84 <heli...@centrum.sk> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 10:30 PM, Terry Brady <tw...@georgetown.edu>
> wrote:
> > I presumed that I could remove the documents for an entire
> > community/collection in a single command.
>
> Sorry about the confusion, that didn't occur to me. A Solr index is
> just a collection of documents with no intrinsic concept of hierarchy.
> Is there any way we could write the help text more clearly?
>
> > Perhaps it would be useful to have a new command line option to force the
> > re-indexing of a specific community or collection.  It might also be
> useful
> > to allow multiple items to be deleted in a single command.  If this
> sounds
> > potentially useful to others, I will file an enhancement request.
>
> Sure, feel free to file one. Although I personally can't imagine a
> case where it would be useful. It sounds ad hoc - and if you need
> something ad hoc, it sounds more flexible to talk directly to Solr
> than to build it into DSpace. In your case, your query would look
> like:
>
> $ curl "
> http://localhost:8080/solr/search/select/?q=location.coll:1234&rows=0";
>
> Measure twice, cut once.
>
> $ curl "http://localhost:8080/solr/search/update?stream.body=
>

> Regards,
> ~~helix84
>
> Compulsory reading: DSpace Mailing List Etiquette

Terry Brady
Applications Programmer Analyst
Lauinger Information Technology
202-687-7053