Il 15/11/2014 02.57, Mark Diggory ha scritto:

I'm not sure if https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1637 really meets the design goal to split off the Handle service entirely from DSpace. It still looks to be a plugin to the existing local handle server.
Yes the remote handle service plugin is a way to expose the internal handle storage of DSpace to a central handle server. The single DSpace is still responsible for handle mint and resolution. With this functionality we are able to run a single handle server daemon in our farm for all hosting DSpace installation.
Hope this help to clarify,
Andrea

Problems with the local DSpace handle service that really need fixing...

1.) cannot mint under multiple prefixes and opaque unique suffixes with their own naming conventions. 2.) doesn't implement caching/bulk replication API, so if DSpace is offline, so is resolution via hdl.handle.net <http://hdl.handle.net/>. 3.) DSpace conflates actual Handle with local identifier for Item/Community/Collection

A HandleIdentifierProvider that remotely registers handles with an organizational handle service would resolve both these issues. Looks like MarkW already identified this as well... https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2153

Regards,
Mark