Dear Peter,

I will briefly describe our setup which is "non traditional".

We have two communities at our repository:
 - one community uses "external" handle server;
 - the other uses the "bundled" handle server.

Another requirement is that we must be able to modify (even create)
specific handles using (xmlui) UI in the bundled handle server.
External handle server is hosted at http://www.pidconsortium.eu/ accessible
through specific REST API.

Our implementation uses the following configuration

 # per community pid configurations for pid prefixes of the format:
 # community=<community ID>,prefix=<prefix>,alternative_prefixes=<pipeline
separated list of alternative
prefixes>,type=<local|epic>,canonical_prefix=<URL of handle>,subpre
 fix=<subprefix>
 # multiple configurations can be given separated by semicolon
 # default configuration should have asterisk as the community ID
 # subprefix is only used for local handles
 lr.pid.community.configurations =
community=12,prefix=11372,type=epic,canonical_prefix=
http://hdl.handle.net/,subprefix=LRT;community=*,prefix=11234,type=local,canonical_p
   refix=http://hdl.handle.net/,subprefix=1

Our updated version of HandleManager.java
https://github.com/ufal/lindat-repository/blob/1a60d54197439496c4a9a333aa9af0baf68ee191/sources/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/handle/HandleManager.java
reads the configuration, based on the type either formats (using subprefix
e.g., PREFIX/SUBPREFIX-NUMBER) a local handle or registers an external one.

Few remarks:
- the clumsy but unavoidable part of DSpace is that items contain handles
in their url but you need the item url for handle registration. You can do
it in two steps registering a dummy url and later modifying it with the
correct item url;
- do not use a shared prefix for communities (collections) that may be
hosted somewhere else in the future because you will not be able to export
*only* a subset of handles to a different handle server in a clean way;
- it can make perfect sense to have a handle (PID) resolving to another
handle and that one to a url (even deeper hierarchies make sense for some
applications);
- the next version of the handle server should have REST API (the only
official information I found is here
http://www.handle.net/mail-archive/handle-info/msg00624.html but the dates
are not valid) which would solve quite a few issues;

Best,
Jozef